Solar energy is the most important source of energy for mankind. We have known this from the beginning that Sun is the supporter of life on Earth. Gratefully the energy that is provided by the sun is non-conventional or renewable, that is, it can be used over and over again. As a result of this benefit, since the past decade many gadgets that are dependent on solar energy have been built like the solar cooker, solar water heater, solar light etc. The solar street lights are a great substitute for electricity based lighting systems. The use of solar street lighting solutions in India has increased greatly since the past decade. The major reason for its popularity is that it is environment friendly and is renewable.
The solar street lights have a photovoltaic panel that traps energy from the sun and converts it into light energy which is used by the appliances. The other parts include a Lithium-ion battery, infrared sensors, night sensors and other automatic systems.The solar panel charges the re-chargeable batteries.The lights automatically turn on at night. They utilize the energy stored in them during the day.
• Cost efficient as they require less maintenance
• Environment friendly
• Some part of the solar lighting systems are portable
• No electrocution or over heating problems
• Lightings independent of grid failures or power cuts
• Accumulation of dust on the solar panel can reduce its capability to absorb light and can even stop it fully. Thus it requires cleaning after certain time intervals
• Rechargeable batteries need to be replaced because of their short life span
Although the solar street lighting systems in India have both advantages and disadvantages, the advantages clearly outnumber the latter. Thus, solar energy can be called the rebirth of Electricity or maybe something more advanced and dependable than it.